August 21, 2011

"For Colored Girls.."






Even my uncle was featured in the photography section :)


     I hope everyone had a great weekend; I sure did. Between working eight hours shift and going to events, the weekend was full of excitement. I was honored to help out during the encore production of "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf" by director by my stylish friend Leona Pierre from Urban Fresh. It was a night of art, fashion and theater.

     Every single time I work with the Urban Fresh crew, I get more inspired. "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf" is about how six women, from different occupations, that sharing their stories about what many women go through. No matter the race, age, or religion, we can all go through similar situations. It’s a "raw reality in our world." These six women were able to make us feel every little emotion; happiness, love, passion, sadness, and much more. It's a "timeless story" that can be passed down from generation to generation.

      Another part of the night that I loved was the art portion. Todd Johnson was the artist of the night. I met Todd in October at my first Urban Fresh event where we became models for the night. But I didn't know about his hidden talent. Todd is a visual artist who knows exactly how to bring life to a painting. In future post I’ll show some of his incredible art pieces. Today I just want to make it about how powerful women are, but yet can be so fragile when they lose their self. 

    "One thing I don’t need is any more apologies." When we find that love, "not towards another man, but for yourself," it it’s something very powerful. Don't ever forget that one must love ourselves first before we can love others!! 

Con Mucho Amor,
Anilka

P.S. We were given out organic lollipops, how weird is that? How can a lollipop be organic? haha          



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loving the head pieces x

http://lolitasfashionideas.blogspot.com/